Sunday, May 3, 2009

You Are Not Alone

If you are visiting our website it is may be because you have a child who has food allergies. I want you to know that you are not alone. I remember feeling so ALONE in the beginning of our journey with Jackson. I remember his pediatrician calling with the results from his first RAST test...she said, "milk, dogs, peanuts, eggs, wheat, tree-nuts, soy, and cockroaches." I remember hanging up the phone in tears, looking at our two beloved Labs in the backyard, opening the cupboards full of milk and soy based formula and thinking, "What do I do?!?" There was no one to call, no friend who had gone before me in motherhood that could help me this time, no relative who had ever experienced this issue, none of my "What to Expect" books had much to offer, ALONE! I jumped on the Internet and scared myself to death......I went on my trusted "friend" babycenter.com and jumped on the chat board for food allergies...I was shocked at how many people were dealing with food allergies. We were not alone! Phew! I think my husband and I have felt a change from feeling alone and feeling sorry for ourselves and Jackson, to trying to educate others and ourselves on how to protect Jackson and help him live his life to the fullest as we know this is what God wants for him. His allergies are part of who he is, but not WHO he is...He is wonderfully made by His Creator and this is all part of the life God prepared for him and for us. Just now I packed his backpack for a trip to his Uncle Brett's house for a couple of hours....Epi-pen is like packing a juice box...or a diaper..it goes where he goes. I just thought I would write this afternoon to remind you that you are not alone! I promise.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Staci, I've followed you from babycenter.com. Jackson's journey interests me because my 21 month old son has similar food allergies and your list of foods sounds like his. I am also a mom of 3 under 3, so I am challenged daily! My 2.75 yr DS has autism, my 1.75 yr DS has dairy/egg/peanut allergies and asthma, and my 6 month old DD is still healthy thus far! I will look into the NAET approach too, since I've got to do research for both my sons. Never enough time in the day. I also blog about my son Nikko (and snippets of our other kids) at www.nikkomannikkoman.blogspot.com. It's very therapeutic! Nice to meet you, Staci! ---Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. NAET is not a sound practice!! There are several articles at www.quackwatch.com as well as a recent death after a NAET allergy treatment.
    There is currently no cure for food allergies! Strict avoidance in diets of allergic individuals is the only way to stay reaction free.
    There are studies going on in different MEDICAL settings looking for a cure.
    NAET is quackery!
    Also, you are not strictly avoiding allergens in your son's diet.
    I suggest visiting a board certified allergist, going to www.foodallergy.org or another "credible" site and re thinking this approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for you advice, I will definitely look into your suggestions. We do see an allergist and our pediatrician is aware of our decision to try NAET as well. The death was due to the fact that the person did not follow the program properly and had other issues. Our allergist is fine with Jackson eating what he does tolerate currently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you have an article that shows what he did wrong?

    If not, what did he do wrong!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, not the patient, the practioner...from what I read, he gave the man peanuts after treating him for the allergy. Also, there was a huge delay in calling for help. It's unfortunate that the man lost his life at the hands of an incompentent practioner. I trust ours. Our practioner does not recommend anyone to eat the allergen or be exposed to it until you clear it with your medical doctor and are tested. I am not going to give Jackson any of his allergens until we finish treatment and are retested medically for the results. I am cautiously trying the NAET as I have heard of some good results and our practioner has been doing it for 8 years in our city and has had some great results.

    ReplyDelete