Friday, May 15, 2009

Some thoughts....clearing up some things....

This is Jackson's journey. All of our kids are on a journey to become happy, healthy, and a blessing to the world they live in. Jackson is not only on a journey to get his food allergies and sensitivities under control, but on a bigger scale his is on a journey to become who God designed Him to be. I'm excited to see who he will bless, touch, learn from, and become.

This blog is a tool to remember this time in his journey and to hopefully inform other people about the attempts we as parents are going to make to try to help Jackson find ways to deal with his allergies and hopefully find some healing for them. I want to remember this journey so that all the miracles, challenges, celebrations and learning we receive from it are put in writing so Jackson can have an understanding of these young years of his life.


In no way is this blog about trying to "know it all" or putting hope in a treatment plan...it's about trying something in hope that God can use it for His purposes in Jackson's life.


The world of food allergies is very confusing, discouraging, interesting, and evolving. When Jackson was first tested he had a lot of positives on his RAST report. Some of you who have read this blog are confused by what I have written about Jackson eating foods that have wheat ingredients . He tested positive to it, but from the beginning we didn't feel he was reacting to it.....the whole "testing" process is very confusing and there are often false positives........his skin and RAST tests contradicted each other......and he did have a life threatening reaction to milk even though the skin test did not come back positive for milk. He would break out in rashes from bananas and peaches which is sometimes linked to peanut allergies. Please know that I am aware that all kids with allergies have their own journeys, issues, reactions and treatment plans. I don't want anyone to read this blog thinking I think I am an expert...I'm on the parenting side of the journey.


The NAET testing recognizes allergies and sensitivities to foods and other common environmental allergens. So far on our journey Jackson has tested positive to egg (which is also positive on the RAST and skin tests), calcium mix (which includes most milk proteins, ect), iron (which has to do with many foods including bananas and peaches which he would get a rash from when he was eating baby food), and the vitamin A mix (which has to do with the milk).....okay, so I understand that this may be confusing...but so far it makes sense to me because he has reacted to so many things related to these "mixes". So these are what we are starting with and then will test for more. I must say that since his treatment for egg on Wednesday, some eczema rashes have cleared up a bit without medication....Doctors always told me egg allergy and eczema go hand in hand.....maybe it's just a coincidence, but I'm look carefully and closely at how he is reacting. I totally believe that a lot of us are allergic/sensitive to foods we don't even know we are. I have had friends react to foods in their adult life that they ate in childhood with no problems. I myself have tummy issues that I am sure are related to some hidden sensitivity. My sister got headaches from peanut butter, and some of our nieces and nephews couldn't have milk as babies, but later did fine with milk. Jackson has some allergies and some sensitivities and this is all part of the journey.


I saw Jackson's pediatrician today as I took his sister in for a visit. I told her we had our second NAET appointment and she was still positive and supportive. We also talked about his picky eating and she is still hoping that changes soon but is also really happy with all areas of his development and was encouraging me that they are really healthy kids and are growing great. I appreciate her so much because she has come alongside us on this journey.


Just some thoughts tonight as I have been talking to friends about the positive and negative reactions to this blog. It's really for Jackson, and for those who care about him and want to journey with us. My hope that it is for parents who are looking into alternative treatments for their kids....you are starting this journey with us, I know it may not work, or it might help him in some ways, but not others......I know that he may have allergies to certain foods for the rest of his life. I know that God has us right where He wants us because we put our trust in Him. I'm happy you are here, reading this, and journey with us if you choose.

5 comments:

  1. I'm happy to read that you are making sure the focus of your blog is for Jackson and what's happening to him. You are doing a good job balancing all the feedback you are getting. Whatever roads you take to get Jackson on a path to healing are your choices, so good luck and keep writing about how you navigate them! I'll keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I am a mother of two boys, one is 5 years old, who can eat everything and other one is 16 months old who is struggling with eczema tons of food allergies...we have started homeopathy when he turned 1, its been almost 3 months..he definitely feels better and i know for sure those medications are helping but still itches a lot especially legs and arms(he has eczema) so we know he needs something else in addition to homeopathy..we are also thinking of starting NAET, just wanted to ask you is it early to start since he is still v little ?
    i just wanted to add, your blog is so encouraging and you are a very positive person..i can totally understand how difficult is to feel good when your child has so many issues

    Anjana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anjana
    Thanks for your sweet words. Our practioner said she does NAET on infants and babies...I think there is no age limit. Have you found a practioner near you? Let me know if you need assistance in doing so. I am glad to hear the homeopathy is helping. Jackson's eczema got a lot better when he was around 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes i have found a NAET practioner near my house, her name is Iva Peck, haven't met her as yet..here is the link for her site
    http://www.integratedcenterfororientalmedicine.com/prac.htm#iva
    Also i found her link from NAET site too
    http://www.naet.com/subscribers/doctorResultsByZip.asp

    Just wondering, how can i trust she is good as they don't have any case histories, her profile does look promising..if you can drop a few cents in here, that would be helpful
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yeah results by zip won't work as everytime you login its asks for the zip code, my zip is 75035,TX

    ReplyDelete